About this Blog

This blog is about all things that happen in my New England home and garden....if you are interested in decorating, gardening, cooking and entertaining...then follow me here to get inspired and get creative.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Fall Cleanup Woes...but not for long!

I don't know about you, but this time of year is sooo busy for me. After getting out of the lazy days of summer, we come into fall and jump right into school, sports, after-school activities, and yeah a social life when we get a chance. Before you know it, the weekends are taken up with fall cleanups that need to get done and holiday shopping. I would love to skip the fall cleanup altogether and jump right into the shopping, but reality and guilt set in at some point. I wish I had the same energy as I do when the first signs of spring hit and I am dying to get my hands in the dirt. But none the less, the last few weeks for me have consisted of cleaning up the outdoors before we see any signs of snow here in New England and before it gets too cold of course. I DON'T work in the cold. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE living in New England, but I can do without the extreme cold. I do love that the seasons change here, and for the most part we've had a great fall so far.
But as the last few leaves fall off the trees and as the air starts to get cooler,  I can start to rest easy and concentrate my attention on the indoors. Thanksgiving and Christmas become the next focus of attention for me. I really love this time of year because of the months of happenings that occur. Thanksgiving is a time of gathering with family, and eating comfort foods, and being thankful for those that matter most in our lives. 
Christmas is also all about family, but also for friends as well, as we will gather for open houses and Christmas parties. And who can forget New Year's...a time to ring in the coming year and celebrate the hope of good things to come!
I really do love this time of year. I can't wait to start all these preparations very soon. Of course I am also always on the look out for new ways to decorate and new and different meals to prepare. Every year I try to change things up a bit. I love to keep some things totally ritual and traditional because lets face it, we as people like to cling on to traditions as a sort of comfort and a way or remembering events and people in our lives. Creating these memories are what the holidays are all about. In the coming weeks I hope to share with you some of my holiday traditions and ideas, and I can't wait to hear and see what others out there are doing as well. 
So, I'll be posting some projects that I have been working on soon. Until then, have a great fall weekend. It's a beautiful and warm day today in New England...I'm going to get out there and enjoy it will I can!


Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment