About this Blog

This blog is about all things that happen in my New England home and garden....if you are interested in decorating, gardening, cooking and entertaining...then follow me here to get inspired and get creative.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Holiday Mantel

I have completed my holiday mantel!!! The Christmas season has officially started for me. I always decorate my entire home first and then my tree. This year I've reinvented my decor with a new color scheme that I'm really excited about. When I began holiday decorating, I started with a base. I bought ornaments than were crystal, white, gold, and silver. I really like how these colors coordinate with any decor that is going on in my house as it is always evolving...as most of you know with your own homes! However, I do add a different color each year or couple of years to add some interest and coordinate with my home. In the past I've used red and copper (separately, not together). This year I wanted to go with chartreuse!! I LOVE green!! I wanted to use different shades of green to create depth and also, since I was kind of going with a monochromatic scheme, I added lots of textures to keep it interesting.
 I started with a base of green garland. I added some Christmas trees that I found at T.J. Maxx. I bought three green trees in different shades of green, all wrapped in a different textured paper as you can see closely in the about photo. Also, I added some mercury glass pieces that were very affordable.
 My mantel has a step from the floor level. I use this to place more things, in this case two miniature lighted trees on either end, and some reindeer that I sprayed with a metallic silver paint. I also decorated each reindeer with some greenery that I hot glued on their backs, and embellished the greens with flocked pine cones, silver ornaments and some green ribbon. You probably can't tell from this picture, but I used little round rhinestones as the eyes on my reindeer to give it a little bit of shine and glamour.


Here you can see how I've tucked in some other floral pieces from the craft store and my coordinating ribbon. I sprayed some branches that I found in my backyard and added then to the garland to give it an organic look. I added a mercury glass votive holder that I absolutely LOVE...also from TJ's.


 I added ornaments to the mantel in shades of silver and green. Some were shiny, some matte, and some glittered. Adding different textures is really important when you want to use colors that are similar.

 There's usually a large print above my mantel, but I replaced it with my DIY wreath. I've had this wreath for about 10 years. Each time I change my color scheme, I change out the pieces, the ribbon..etc. I do love my glue gun, but I like the idea of just using floral wire to attach things to a classic wreath, that way it can easily be changed out.
By now, you've probably noticed that I don't have any stockings. Well, I do have children and yes they do have stockings. We like to use the stockings in their bedrooms. They think it's "cool" that Santa Clause comes all the way up the stairs to their rooms to stuff their stockings and tuck them in when they're asleep.
Well...that's my mantel decor. I am linking to the Holiday Link party at The Lettered CottageCheck back with me to view the rest of my home holiday decor and my Christmas tree...when we get it that is. We've started a tradition of cutting down our own tree and we'll be doing that this weekend....I can't wait to share more with you!

Gina 

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Christmas displays and decor. Mercury glass is so big this year. I had one in my hand today and put it down...I guess I have to go back. Welcome to blog land...I am following you now. Come and take a visit sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, visiting from Layla's link party. Love your Christmas mantle, I love the colors your chose, they are some of my favorites.

    Merry Christmas.

    Oh yea, I use to be a Realtor, so I'm sending you some Realtor love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors you used here...it looks outstanding!!!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    I’m hosting an Christmas Open House on 12/9…would love to have you come by and join in on the fun!

    ReplyDelete